Picasa Album Uploader Beta v0.3 Released!

By Ken | Software

Jan 05

Today marks the first release to the wild of a WordPress plugin I’ve been working on called Picasa Album Uploader.

We use Picasa Desktop to manage our photos and I’ve been wanting an easy way to publish photos from Picasa to WordPress Sites we have.  The other examples that exist for WordPress require files to be placed in the wp-admin directory which just didn’t sit well with me.  Starting with those examples I created a new plugin that is a true WordPress plugin and does not require any files in wp-admin or the server root.  I hope people find it useful!

To discuss or report problems with the plugin visit the WordPress.org Plugin and Hacks Forum.

Leave a Comment:

(9) comments

Jon 5 years ago

I am having the same problem and tried downloading the .pbz file and copied it directly into C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Google\Picasa3\buttons, restarted picasa and it did not work. Thanks, JM

dmiller 7 years ago

Sorry, I must be missing something. If i copy the url of the “install image upload button in picasa desktop” i get

picasa://importbutton/?url=http://www.jaeday.com/blog/picasa_album_uploader/picasa_album_uploader.pbz

Can you email me so we can work on the problem faster. I forget to come back and check the comments.

thanks
dm

Ken 7 years ago

I don’t have any Windows machines so I’m not able to try this myself. Problem is curious.

Assuming the button file is downloading properly it should show up in either the left hand “Available Buttons” column or the right hand “Current Buttons” column of the “Tools->Configure Buttons…” dialog.

You can try installing the button manually since the automatic method is not working. To do this, you first need to download the .pbz file. I’ll add a direct link in the next release to make this easier. For right now, right click to copy the download URL and paste it into your browser window. Remove the text before the ‘http://’ portion of the URL and press return to download the .pbz file from your WordPress install.

Once you have the file downloaded, you should be able to place into the “buttons” subdirectory of the Picasa install. (This might be at: “C:Program FilesGooglePicasa3buttons”) Restart Picasa and the button should now be in either the left or right column of the “Configure Buttons…” dialog.

Let me know if this works!

I’d also like to hear if you already have a button that appears to be from my plugin in the Picasa buttons directory. It would be named ‘picasa_album_uploader.pbz’.

dmiller 7 years ago

I’m on the same setup as Kim, I click the link and it launches the program (picasa), and i click yes to “launch picasa and import buttons”, but the button never shows up and is not setting in tools-> configure button. I’ve also tried this on windows xp, both have picasa 3.

thanks
dm

Kim 7 years ago

I have Picasa 3.6.0, windows 7, and a wordpress site on my own domain. I’ve followed the instructions, and just can’t get a button to show up in Picasa. It’s not under tools>configure buttons. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Ken 7 years ago

You should get a dialog from Picasa to open the pbz file that is being downloaded. My initial guess is that Picasa is not registered in your browser to handle a URL beginning with ‘picasa:’

When you click on the link to install the button from the Admin Media screen, does Picasa indicate that it is going to start and attempt to download the button?

Martin47 7 years ago

Your WP graphic button does not get installed into Picasa! After initiating your ‘download/install button’ it is absent (even in configure buttons pane).
Hope this improves
M

Ken 7 years ago

The pbz file is dynamically generated. One part of it is an XML file that contains a link to your WordPress installation so that Picasa connects to the correct place. When you click on the download button in Admin->Settings->Media does the button get dowloaded for Picasa to install?

dmiller 7 years ago

I installed the plugin in wordpress and activated it just fine, but the link to download the button for picasa shows a .pbz file which does not exist in the download.

Please advise
thanks for the hard work
dm